Call : 786-539-4935
Click Here to Email Us:

Modification Of Child Support And Contempt For Non-payment Of Child Support

October 13, 2015 by  
Filed under Uncategorized



Where there has been a substantial change in circumstances because of a change in the parties incomes or because of a change in court ordered time-sharing a party can petition the court for a modification of child support.  Where a petition for modification of child support is filed a modification of child support can be retroactive to the date of filing.

Where a parent has failed to pay child support the other parent can seek to have the parent who should have paid found in contempt of court for non-payment of child support.

In the case of Rosenblum v. Rosenblum, the First District Court of Appeals ruled that since a petition for modification of child support was pending before the trial court and it predated the motion for contempt for non-payment of child support the trial court was required to hear the petition for modification first or at the same time as the motion for contempt and had committed reversible error in hearing the motion for contempt before the modification action.  The Court of Appeals reasoned that the amount that should have been paid was not certain until the petition for modification had been heard so it was error to find the parent who had not paid in contempt until the amount owed had been determined.

If you need to talk to a lawyer or attorney about a modification of child support or enforcement of a child support obligation please  contact us at (786)539-4935 to schedule a consultation.


Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!


Disclaimer: The Law Offices of Robert Hanreck, P.A. is based in Miami , Florida and serves clients throughout the State including Miami-Dade and Broward counties. We are licensed to practice law in the State of Florida. This website is intended for informational purposes only and is not meant to constitute legal advice, or solicit clients outside of the State of Florida.