Call : 786-539-4935
Click Here to Email Us:

If a Change in Circumstances Supports a Change in Child Support You Need to Act Sooner Than Later

June 27, 2017 by  
Filed under Uncategorized



Where there has been a substantial change in circumstances like a significant change in income or a change in time-sharing that would justify a change in a child support obligation the Court can only modify the obligation back to the date of the filing of the petition for modification and not before it.  Accordingly, a party seeking a modification will want to file a petition for modification to preserve the date the Court can go back to when modifying child support.  You can not be reimbursed for child support payments made before a supplemental petition for modification was filed regardless of how unfair it may seem in some cases.

If you need to seek modification of your child support obligation or time-sharing schedule you should consult with a lawyer as soon as possible so as to make sure the Court can go back as close as possible to the date of the change in circumstances.  If you need advice in relation to the modification of child support contact us to discuss your situation.


Comments are closed.

Disclaimer: The Law Offices of Robert Hanreck, P.A. is based in Miami , Florida and serves clients throughout the State including Miami-Dade and Broward counties. We are licensed to practice law in the State of Florida. This website is intended for informational purposes only and is not meant to constitute legal advice, or solicit clients outside of the State of Florida.